The Longo Maï Co-operatives are a network of agricultural co-operatives with an anti-capitalist ideological focus. Founded in 1973 in Limans the network has spread in Europe and to Central America.
Following the events of May 68 groups of students from Austria and Switzerland who held anarchist ideologies collaborated to raise funds to allow them to buy land upon which to start to farm collectively. In 1973 they purchased 270 hectares of land at Limans near Forcalquier.
The communities ideological leader was Roland Perrot, a military deserter from the war in Algeria. Perrot knew Jean Giono and had experienced the free commune in Contadour in the 1930s. The ideological focus of the community is anti-militarist and pacifist, anti-capitalist and egalitarian. Activities focus upon self-sufficiency, community life, craft and agricultural production, the joint management of energy, water and respect for the environment.
Longo Maï has been involved with various international solidarity efforts with a particular focus on resistance against dictatorships.
Home is a census-designated place in Pierce County, Washington, United States. The 2010 Census placed the population at 1,377. The community lies on the Key Peninsula and borders the waters of Carr Inlet, an extension of Puget Sound. Home is now primarily a town of beach homes, although around the turn of the twentieth century, it was considered a model, utopian community of anarchists.
The Life and Labor Commune was a Tolstoyan agricultural commune founded in 1921 and disbanded as a state run collective farm in 1937. The commune was founded near Moscow but was later resettled in central Siberia, not far from Novokuznetsk. At its peak, it reportedly had as many as 1,000 participants. Throughout its existence the members of the commune were persecuted by the Bolsheviks, both for refusing to enlist or support their war efforts as well as for organizing themselves communally outside of the approved state structure.
The Life and Labor Commune was founded on December 31, 1921 with a rental contract with the Moscow District Land Department for the Shestakóvka estate, twelve miles outside of Moscow. The commune was built on land in the Tsarítsyn district of the Moscow region and fell under the village soviet of Troparyovo. The commune was named "Life and Labor" after the Tolstoyan and anarchist leanings of its founding members. From the very beginning, all communal meals were strictly vegetarian.
In 1927 the commune began to come under attack along with the Tolstoy New Jerusalem Commune, which was liquidated by the Soviet government in 1929. Many of the members from there joined the Life and Labor Commune. Leading members of the commune came under legal prosecution by the government, which attempted to revoke their charter. They were defended in court by anarchist Peter Kropotkin, a member of the Public Defender's Office, as well as nephew of Kropotkin.
Vladimir Cherkov, who intervened on behalf of conscientious objectors to the Red Army with Lenin and had won them their freedom from impressment, suggested that the Life and Labor Commune resettle along with other followers of Tolstoy to form one large commune. On February 28, 1930 the All-Russian Central Executive Committee issued a decree by the Presidium of the Committee, Protocol 41, Paragraph 5, about "the resettlement of Tolstoyan communes and cooperatives." After a scouting expedition in the spring of 1930, the location of Kuznetsk along the Tom River was chosen. On March 22, 1931, after selling the livestock and donating the farm to an outpatient psychiatric hospital, the inhabitants of the Life and Labor Commune set out for outskirts of Siberia.
Demise under Stalinism (1936-1939)
In 1936, the leaders of the commune were arrested, followed by additional waves of arrests in 1937 and 1938. By January 1939, the few remaining women and children were consolidated into a Soviet collective farm. Many of the communards died in labor camps or were executed for refusing to serve in the military.
Metelkova City is an autonomous social centre in the centre of Ljubljana, Slovenia. It is located on the site of former military barracks (the Slovenian headquarters of the Yugoslav National Army) and was squatted September 1993. The site consists of seven buildings and is 12,500 m² in area. The squat is named after nearby Metelko Street (Slovene: Metelkova ulica), which is named after the 19th-century Slovenian Roman Catholic priest, philologist, and unsuccessful language reformer Fran Metelko.
At Metelkova City a range of activities have been held. These include an art gallery, bars, artists studios, space for designers, offices of cultural organisations and concerts featuring different types of live music from Free Jazz, Rockabilly, Psychobilly, Punk rock, Heavy metal and Noise to Dub and Techno. Since it hosted LGBT and anti-racist activities, Metelkova was targeted by racist skinheads in 1994.
On August 2, 2006, the Inspectorate for the Environment and Spatial Planning demolished one building, known as the Small School, after several previous attempts were thwarted. There are plans to rebuild the school.
Initially, residents of Metelkova City illegally siphoned water from Ljubljana. However, today Metelkova is legally connected to the city's water system and power grid. The money needed to pay for public utilities is raised through Metelkova's many bars, concerts, and art galleries.
The Socialist Community of Modern Times was a community founded on Long Island, New York, USA in 1851. It existed until 1864, when its name was changed to Brentwood.
Modern Times was founded by the individual anarchists Josiah Warren and Stephen Pearl Andrews, both of whom were strong believers in the idea of individual sovereignty, meaning essentially that every individual is responsible for seeking or finding their own purpose in life, rather than the purpose or meaning given to them by any given "society".
The Stapleton Colony, based in Stapleton, North Yorkshire is a Christian pacifist and anarchist community, and the only remaining colony of the Brotherhood Church. By 2016 the population of the colony had declined to four residents.
In 1897 several members of the Brotherhood Church, some from a Quaker background, moved to Leeds. The receipt of a legacy left to a member, namely Lillian Ferris, enabled the group to relocate to a seven and a half acre smallholding at Stapleton in 1921.
The Stapleton community are vegetarian, grow much of their own organic food and attempt to live independently from the government. They are affiliated to the Peace Pledge Union, Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament and War Resisters' International. Residents have included Len W. Gibson (1919–2007) who was a lifelong peace campaigner and conscientious objector.